Wednesday, January 07, 2009

A map and a book

The map is of the Cibola National Forest (Grants-Gallup ranger district, as it was then), 1968. I wanted to dig it out to prove a point. It shows all the trails and dirt roads and even individual buildings. At first, I couldn't find it where I expected it to be. But I found that I had been overlooking it because it had been folded to be smaller than I thought it would be. It was right in the basket where I expected to find it and eventually did find it, and while I was searching I enjoyed looking at other maps in the same basket, including Travis, Williamson, Bastrop, and Blanco individual county maps and many others. Between my first search of the basket and that eureka moment, I read a book called Collections of Nothing (thank you, Austin Public Library). The book is really an extended essay and there are portions that are great fun to read aloud because of the author's delight in language. Anyhow, I've been inspired to de-accession some of my documentary evidence of life here in Austin as I've known it and deliver it to the Austin History Center (see Metblog entry).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home