Friday, January 25, 2008

Glad right away, just for these two

KO-OP 91.7-FM radio is back. It was a treat to hear Space Cowboy (Steve Miller Band), which created time-travel back to the Fillmore. And then there was Beyond Viet Nam, a speech broadcast in its entirety as delivered by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., a year before his death. I can't believe that I had never read or heard this one before. People in power and people seeking national elective office shold read this one; it speaks to our time. It's clear that Dr. King shared with me the experience of being one of the last group of schoolkids exposed to a nineteenth-century education. It must be a function of exposure to nineteenth-century schoolbooks. In his peroration, he even quotes one of the famous verses of James Russell Lowell. Courtesy of the same American Rhetoric site, I've learned that a speech by Jesse Jackson is included in its selection of one hundred top speeches. I have never fogotten these words: "They catch the early bus. They work every day." And I'm pleased to know that these words are preserved. I see that I was not alone in believing that they spoke directly to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home