Thursday, December 21, 2006

Cardinal sin of clock-winding

I committed it when my mind was on several things at once. I didn't stop the pendulum entirely before winding the clock. It belonged to my paternal grandmother. She was born in 1850. The clock was never an expensive one. Clocks like it were so plentiful in their day that they're still cheap. It's intended to sit on a a kitchen shelf or perhaps a sideboard or a mantel. It strikes, although not always the number of times that might be expected from what the hands show. A winding lasts only about two and a half days before winding is required again. The paper face, with its Roman numerals, is very worn in places, particularly near the two openings where the winding-key is to be inserted. There was a terrible noise. I started the pendulum again anyhow, hoping for the best. After it had run down, I wound the clock, which felt all right. It seems to have undergone no permanent damage. From the time it was new until this very day, the clock has run faithfully. I'm so thankful that it still will, and I promise to pay complete attention to what I'm doing when that key is in my hand.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home