Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Illegible labels

I very rarely lose anything, and I'm very easy on my clothes, which last forever and ever, no matter how much I wear them, unless I don't see something and am snagged by it or unless someone spills something. Sometimes an older garment can be put away for a decade or so, in hopes that styles will return. Rationally, I know that this is stupid. Lapels and colors, for instance, are always marks of a certain era to those who notice such things, and only echos of a given style ever repeat, never the Ding an sich. Yes; quality clothes are made to endure; labels, however, are pitiful. Now, I have some clothes that are sun-faded and just plain wearing thin after a couple of decades. Some are so old that I can't remember how I came by them. The labels would be informative, but those not shredded and tattered are faded to nothing, without the ghost of a bit of information to be seen. I don't even want to think about paper labels. What happened to embroidered labels?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home