Sunday, February 12, 2006

"You don't know my mind"

This is an old chestnut, but it leaves lots of room for improvising apart from the refrain. Most versions include "When you see me laughin' I'm laughin' just to keep from cryin'" and it fits lots of moods. My favorite tracks on this Blue Horizon recording (BH 7-63210) of the 1968 Memphis Country Blues Festival are the two infectious gospel songs by the Reverend Robert Wilkins and his two sons, especially "In Heaven, Sitting Down." I see that this material was also released on Sire Records, Seymour Stein's label. Perhaps Sire licensed it for the U.S. Stein is credited as the executive producer for the U.K. vinyl in my possession. As can be seen by going to the link from the album number, featured musicians in addition to the Reverend Wilkins include Nathan Beauregard, Bukka White, Furry Lewis, and Mississipi Joe Callicott.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home