Sunday, December 04, 2005

Among some favorites

Thinking about one's least favorite holiday songs brings to mind the topic of the favorites. Some in no particular order are Fred Waring's Night before Christmas, sung around the piano, with the person playing pointing to the person to take the next part; I'll Be Home for Christmas (You Can Count on Me); O Come, O Come Emanuel; and Good King Wenceslas (sung with all verses). O Little Town of Bethlehem is a favorite, too, and sung mostly in the good old U.S. of A. We also loved to sing Button Up Your Overcoat at this time of year. (Most people know about the Waring Blendor, but how many remember Shawnee-on-Delaware or know that Waring wrote the Huston-Tillotson alma mater?)

1 Comments:

At 6:22 PM, December 06, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"O Come, O Come Emmanuel" has always been one of my favorites, too. I also like "O Holy Night" and "The Friendly Beasts". I guess all my favorites came from the 3 record albums my parents had and played every year. No other music and no other versions of that music feel right.

Which reminds me...one of those albums was The Kingston Trio's "The Last Month of the Year". I have it on CD and this would be an excellent time to pop it into the computer to listen to while I surf.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home