Monday, August 29, 2005

Mouth-organ

This case looks like new and still contains its Hohner Echo harmonica. Accompanying it is an instructional booklet by Sigmund Spaeth (printed price of the booklet is 35 cents). Other than technical illustrations, this booklet contains a comical illustration of a guy and a gal of the era with a giant harmonica held up before the two of them. Oddly, there's very little up on the Internet about Sigmund Spaeth, who was quite prominent in his day as a sort of popular musicologist. I can remember hearing him on the radio, perhaps as a panel-member on the Metropolitan Opera quiz.

2 Comments:

At 10:02 PM, September 04, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do remember Sigmund Spath. Somewhere around 1945 or so I bought a copy of his book "Music For Fun". Today I checked the ABE BOOKS web site and learned that in the 1920s he had also written a book called "Read 'em and Weep, The Songs You Forgot to Remember" which seems to be about the origin of some of the sentimental songs of earlier years, such as "There Is a Tavern In The Town".

 
At 9:36 AM, May 16, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had never heard of Spaeth until I recently picked up a copy of Fifty Years With Music. I have written about him here and here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home