Tuesday, April 20, 2004

The pictures before the book

The New Statesman reviews a book about Frances Hodgson Burnett. It was years before I ever read The Secret Garden, but I loved those full-page color plates with the sheet of thin tissue paper over them. I never read A Little Princess until after seeing the movie. Little Lord Fauntleroy was around, but we didn't read it. A list of a lot of her books is on line at Project Gutenberg. I know that when I was a kid I read at least a couple of the semi-pulpy ones for adults, but I don't recognize any of the titles in this list. Way back when, the backs of books used to be filled with pages touting "other books by this author" and other authors with the same publisher. There was a lot of Frank Stockton around.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home