Friday, February 22, 2002

Escape therapy continues. Eloise Jarvis McGraw copyrighted "Mara, Daughter of the Nile"i n 1953. Apparently it remains popular with both boys and girls and has initiated an interest in things Egyptian in many. I was happy to find it still in print, courtesy of Puffin Books, but disappointed not to have found the original hardbound copy, which had a handsome cover and excellent production values. I found it to be as exciting all these decades after as it was when I was in seventh grade. My first interest in Egypt was courtesy of the Bible and also of the 1930-something edition of Encyclopaedia Britannica, with its plate of the horse sculpture, now I believe held to be fake, and the famous head of Nefertiti. Somewhere along the line I remember reading a book for young people about Akhenaten and his wife, but I don't know the name. I enjoyed every one of McGraw's books that I ever read. In searching on Google, I find that many of them are great favorites of the home-schooling crowd.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home