Saturday, August 18, 2001

Right up there in the billing for Liberty Heights should have been all those beautiful vintage cars, mostly GM, with a bounteous number of my favorite, the 1955 Cadillac, though none with a metal visor--oh, the wonders of the Hydra-Matic drive. I had never realized that among the Barthelme brothers was a Peter, who wrote three mysteries set patly in Houston and partly around Port O'Connor, mostly. They're phony hard-boiled, and the most interesting thing about the tree is that the protagonist is an advertising person, and there's much tehnical detail about all sorts of things that are done digitally these days. Two other brothers wree recently heard from as co-authors of Double Down, their memoir of gambling trouble amidst the "riverboats" of Mississippi. I bought "Come Back, Doctor Caligari" by Donald Barthelme as a trade paperback, because I loved the surreal Edward Gorey cover illustration. I'm not sure whether I still have my copy; it was published in 1965 and I think I bought it in Poughkeepsie, but it could have been in Manhattan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home